Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Austin Weekend

We spent last weekend in Austin. It was out last little getaway for the summer before I go back to coaching and teaching. Mostly we went there to relax but we did do a little bit while we were there.


On Friday night we went to the Congress street bridge to see the bats fly out. It is really something to see if you have never seen this. It starts out with just a few bats coming out and then all of a sudden there is a solid black ribbon of bats flying down the river.



I can not take credit for the picture, it was way too dark by the time they came out when we were there.

On Saturday we went to the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum. I had been once before but I like it, I think it is a very well done museum and well worth the $7 entry fee. If you have time you should go to the Spirit Theater. It has a really good video on some of the historic moments in Texas History.

We also had some really great meals. We actually ate at two restaurants that were featured on Rachel Ray's Tasty Travels: Austin. I must say that she did a very good job, both restaurants we went to were really good. We also went to a McCormick & Schmick's, I had never been to one and the food was really good, it is a little pricey but that's OK every once in a while. What really makes it stand out though is that when they brought out our meals one of them was wrong. They said they would get it fixed as soon as possible, which they did, only a few minutes, so it wasn't really that big of a deal. Then the manager came by and apologized and said that the whole meal would be taken care of. We had met friends there so there were 4 of us. Later he brought out the check to show us that it was taken care of and sure enough it showed a total of $136 with a $0 balance.

It was a good weekend, I don't know if it was good enough that I'm ready to go back to work but it was good. I think we may need to make a few more trips to Austin to see some more that the city has to offer.

1 comment:

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

I really like Austin - we enjoy going, too. Seeing the bats is awesome! I can't believe that many of them all fit under that bridge! Nice deal on the comped meal, too! Sounds like a great time!