Thursday, August 27, 2009

Downfall of Society Part 1

So, school has started and even though I hate doing it, going over rules and procedures is absolutely necessary in order to get things going in the right direction. Students have to know your expectations if you want them to live up to your expectations. One thing in particular that gets to me every year when I do this is the reactions that I get when I tell them to watch their language.

I tell them that I do not want to hear profanity in my classroom and they laugh and carry on and make it out like I'm some kind of goody goody. For anyone that knows me, they know that that is far from the truth, I just don't like hearing profanity. I personally do not use profanity, or at least I try not to, I do slip up from time to time but I don't see a reason to use it all the time. The students I have will use profanity in almost every conversation and never think twice about it or have any concern about who is nearby.

I could go on and on about this but I think you get my drift. I guess part of my problem is the fact that they don't care who is around, I think they should at least show respect to people of authority and watch their mouth.

OK, I'll get off that soap box, mainly so I can use it to wash their mouths out.

Stay tuned for for future posts on this topic regarding facial peircings and wearing hats in buildings.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When i was in high school, i couldn't imagine cursing when a teacher was near-by. It's crazy that they just don't care who is around anymore before they start dropping f bombs.

i should have started this post with "back in the day....". i may just be getting old.

clara