Friday, June 13, 2008

Country Boy Come to Town

I grew up in a very small town in south Texas (probably pop. 400). I would also say that we would best be described as upper lower class. We didn't grow up with a lot of money, so in turn we didn't do a lot of traveling when I was younger. Now that I am getting older and in a slightly better position financially I have been able to travel more in the past few years. My wife and her family have also done a lot to make it easier to travel. In the past year I've gotten to make some really great trips, I went with my wife and her family on a cruise to Alaska, I've been to Pennsylvania a couple of times with her, I got to have a business trip Boston and finally my honeymoon to Mendocino, CA.

It has already been a very big year for me when it comes to traveling and now, thanks to a few things falling into place I will be leaving to Germany on Sunday. It just happens that I have a college friend that is working Germany for a few years and then another friend said that his cousin was getting married in London this summer so why don't we go to Germany to visit AW before I go to the wedding? I thought, "What a great idea".

I'm really excited about the trip and also a little nervous. Even though I have been traveling more lately I'm still not real comfortable on planes.

Anyway, the real point of this post is that after growing up poor and in a very small town I find it strange that I'm traveling to all these cool places. When I was in Boston I was by myself, walking along the Freedom Trail and suddenly, while looking at the Old State House, I thought "How did I grow up in Lolita and end up in Boston?" I know that makes me sound like a total county hick, but deep down that is what I still am. I hope to keep expanding my horizons and traveling to new places but I also hope that I'm able to keep that feeling of amazement and never take these sorts of things for granted.

2 comments:

cjm said...

That is very good. I think because of where we came from, it takes more work for us to take things for granted.

Also? Maybe it was a typo but maybe not: "I have a college friend that is working Germany." I think he works more than Germany. :o)

Have a great trip. And, for the record, I was nervous as well despite my constant flying.

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

I never really traveled until I was an adult, either. Growing up, a "vacation" for us was visiting relatives in Dallas. Whoopee. Now I LOVE to travel, but I HATE to fly. So we don't go too far. :-)